Spring in Australia is as beautiful as you could imagine. From the incredible weather to the gorgeous landscapes, it’s the ideal place and time for a road trip in a campervan. One of the best places to visit during the spring is Melbourne.
Winter has had its glorious time in the spotlight, but now it’s time to start saying farewell to this beautiful time of the year in New Zealand with some hot springs in Rotorua. If you are on a road trip in a campervan hire, New Zealand will not run out of things that would definitely take your breath away.
There are so many incredible things about winter in Rotorua – or any season for that matter – and we have compiled some of our favourite reasons why everyone should experience what this area has to offer This region is perfect regardless of rain or shine – or snow.
A Bit of History
While you can see evidence of a rich Maori culture throughout New Zealand, nowhere else is quite like Rotorua. Rotorua is where you can still catch a glimpse of the Maori customs and traditions and even visit some historical locations.
The first people to make this area their home were the Maori people, in the 14th century, and they still live in the area. A man named Ihenga is believed to have been the first person to discover this part of New Zealand. The area has seen eruptions of both volcanoes and geysers throughout its history, but this has resulted in a unique and gorgeous landscape that welcomes thousands of visitors a year.
Since its beginnings, Rotorua has always been a special region that has drawn people from all over the world to visit. It’s unique location, culture, and beauty made it a popular spot then and a much-coveted vacation destination today.
Why Should You Visit?
If you have yet to visit Rotorua in a campervan hire New Zealand has some of the most reliable rental van companies you can work with. In any case you wouldn’t want to miss checking out this geothermal destination on a road trip in the country. Here’s why:
- The hot springs. With the weather still a bit cold, why not go warm up in the hot springs that Rotorua is known for.
You will be sure to enjoy the relaxing sensation of the cool air outside while soaking in the warm waters of the Rotorua hot-springs.
- The people. Visit Te Puia, where you will find amazing remnants of the Maori culture. From houses to weaponry, there is plenty for you to learn about this interesting culture. Also, Kiwis are, as a rule, a friendly and welcoming people, so you can be sure you will feel at home in this area.
- The beauty. The area is full of incredible natural beauty.
From the lakes (Lake Rotorua and Lake Rotoiti) to the rivers, the Rotorua area is made up of natural wonders that will make you want to take as many pictures as possible to capture the beauty, forever.
- The mountain biking trails. Rotorua is well-known for being a great place to go mountain biking. With the Whakarewarewa Forest as one of its main cycling destinations and plenty of bike competitions and festivals throughout the year, it’s no wonder that cyclists come from all over the world to visit this amazing place, no matter the weather.
- The white water rafting. It doesn’t matter if it’s a little chilly out. Winter doesn’t stop people from having fun in Rotorua.
White water rafting is a fun river activity that many people participate in on the Kaituna River, no matter what season it is. Are you brave enough for it?
What to Bring?
To ensure that you go to Rotorua fully prepared for all the fun to be had, the weather, and your planned activities, following are some things that you want to make sure to pack for a satisfactory Rotorua visit:
- Swimming gear. From bathing suits to sandals, you want to be sure to bring anything you could think of needing for water fun. Also, be sure to bring sunscreen. While it may be winter, the sun still shines here and you will be happy you brought it.
- Cycling gear. If you are planning on enjoying some mountain biking while in Rotorua, make sure to bring the right clothing and shoes for it. While you may not have to bring your own bike (you can rent one here), you want to make sure to be comfortable for mountain biking.
- Sweaters and jackets. While winter is on its way out, there may still be some cool days. It doesn’t hurt to come with some things to keep you warm should a chilly day happen. The last thing that you want to do is get sick on your trip.
- Plenty of outdoor clothing. You will be sure to be spending a lot of time outdoors, so go ahead and pack your outdoor clothing for your Rotorua trip.
- Nice clothing. Of course, you will want to get to know more than just the outdoors, so make sure to bring clothing for dinners and nights out.
If you are planning a road trip in a camper van hire New Zealand, you don’t want to miss out on visiting Rotorua. It’s interesting, beautiful, and full of fun things to do.
If you love road trips, you would have definitely heard of The Great Ocean Road. It’s a perfect trip for a one-of-a-kind adventure with stunning views and interesting stops along the way. One of the best ways to enjoy The Great Ocean Road is through a road trip! With a comfortable, well-maintained and competitively priced campervan, the entirety of the Ocean Road is your oyster.
As the old saying goes, if you didn’t Instagram it, it didn’t happen. Hang on, that’s a fairly recent saying. True though!
So in the interests of supporting a selfie, here’s our vote for Australia’s Top 5 Most Instagrammable Road Trips.
Ready for your next Australian road trip? Here’s our vote for the five most instagram-worthy journeys in the country. Let’s go #roadtrippin!